Sunday, April 3, 2011

..Like an Enveloping-Kind-of-Love

While walking around just yesterday, i realized that i have been writing this blog for a little over a month.. and yet, i still haven't introduced you to my first love-at-first-sight. I have mentioned him, yes, i remember, but still.. the simple mentioning doesn't give him justice. You see, this boy, does more than light up my life.. he gives meaning to every little thing that i do. He is a very important element in making me the Meg that you know today. And i believe it is time that you get properly acquainted.
Karim entered my life in September 2006. I had heard so much about him from my best friend, from the way he sits like a little Buddha, to the way his big eyes sparkle.. but all his stories did not prepare me to what i felt the instant i saw him. He was sitting in his playroom on the white spongy floor, flipping quickly through the pages of some book. Standing watching him, i remember feeling nervous, scared.. and naive. This tiny little boy, with the soft cascading brown hair frightened me.
At the time i was embarrassed to admit to this feeling, but 5 years later, i have learned and grown so much because of this boy, that admitting this to you all feels as natural as admitting to my car-crazed fiancé that i still don't know how to change a flat tire.
People who know me well, know that i am someone who likes to have control. Not the kind of control over people, not the bossy type, but to be in control of what i am doing. I like to be prepared, informed, and perfectly à la hauteur at what i do. And this boy, well.. threw my structure, my books, and my research, out the window the second i saw him. I felt unveiled and bare, and completely and utterly lost.
As i watched him, flipping through the thin pages, i wondered if he would like me. Five minutes later, he walks out, and, upon noticing this strange girl in his space, looks straight at me.
He's looking at me! I remember silently thinking to myself, that must be a good sign!
My role in this child's life was to teach him, something i have always loved to do.. teach. But over the years, Karim has taught me much much more than i have ever taught an entire university classroom.

He has taught me patience, a virtue that i had never really owned prior to him.
He has taught me friendship. I cannot lie, Karim has turned his back at me many times, when i truly longed to reach out for him. But at the end of the day, all friends sometimes need their own space. And once i learned to respect that, not once has he abandoned me. He is always one bounce away to include me in his game once again.
He has taught me perseverance. I have always wanted to do things perfectly well, but when i fail at something, or fail to master it, i quickly give up... This boy, astonishes me every day with his fueled perseverance and effort to impress me, show me, prove to me, that he can do and say everything that he so cleverly knows i, as others, so badly want to instill in him.
He has taught me to pause. Pause, and realize how many things i have and still take for granted each and every day.. Like just how strong the sun can shine sometimes, and just how loud the music can resonate sometimes, and just how harsh the wind can slap my skin sometimes.. Little things that i am immune to, but that he silently suffers much more times that not.
And finally, he has taught me love. Unconditional love. The kind of love that envelops you and keeps you warm through the coldest days and the loneliest hours. With him, i am never lonely. And i hope he feels the same way.

Karim will be turning ten in two weeks time. He is the most handsome boy in the entire world, i tell him everyday. He is the bravest, most inspiring student i have come to know, i remind him everyday.
He loves basketball and marshmallows.
He can ride a bicycle, he can rollerblade, and he is super fast on his scooter.
He swims like a fish, and wouldn't mind a bit to spend an entire day in the pool.
He enjoys watching dvds while comfortably snuggled in his beanbag.. his favorite DVD right now seems to be Scooby Doo.
He is and will always be my first love.
He has autism, and he speaks to me everyday.
Thank you Karim, for making me a part of your life.

April is Autism Awareness Month. If you are lucky enough, one of these exceptionally special children will teach you all that i know now, and will surround you with their enveloping-kind-of-love. I am lucky, and i know it.




9 comments:

  1. I had always thought i've known you quite well.. However, and after seeing you yesterday taking care of Karim, i saw a different you; a mature, loving, heartwarming, and most importantly dedicated young woman... I'm so proud of you my daughter :) Love, Mira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be the first of a long list of comments certainly written with watery eyes and a blurry vision of the keyboard. Thank you for reminding us about these "little things" again and again through each post that you write. This is my favorite, and the pictures add a very special and intimate touch... I love to read about your relationship with Karim, as most of us do not get to experience such a warm and unique bond with someone who has made as big of a difference in your life as you have in theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love what you wrote. It was a bit scary because it was as if you have read my mind... He's the reason why i have a smile on my face every morning. I see him and i forget everything else in my life... I'm sure ur blog will raise awareness and give other ppl a chance to see the world differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what im talking about! love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a link of your blog and just clicked on it not really knowing what to expect. Halfway through the reading I realized Karim’s story was familiar and that I had heard of it yet I could really pin point where. I later realized that the author of this delighting post was my previous psychology teacher.

    I learned many things in your class, among them was autism. With your own tools you managed to open my eyes to a subject I used to come across and ignore. I did ignore it yes, but I was not because I wasn’t interested in the matter. It’s more because I didn’t really know what it meant. I had heard of it before yet I never had the urge of looking it up. You managed to raise awareness in me and I believe I am not the only one. I am thankful for that. It’s amazing how we ignore and disregard the power of those little things in our daily life. I am sure that what you have with Karim is to treasure, having him around must be a gift.

    Many of my friends who took or are still taking the course with you mention how great of a teacher you are and they are right! You were nothing like the ones who are giving me my current major courses. I used to look forward to every Tuesday and Thursday, attend your class and hear you stories.

    Thank you for sharing that heartwarming story.
    And thank you for being a great teacher.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg,
    One of my most distinct memories is experiencing first-hand this little boy you speak so dearly of. I instantly felt your connection and passion and love and every emotion and characteristic you speak of in your story. After witnessing your relationship with Kareem, I was instantly inspired to find someone or something that brought me as much inspiration and love that I saw you carry. May you know that your passion, love and work as a teacher do not just benefit the people who you help directly, but most importantly everyone that gets the opportunity to meet you.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an inspirational story .. Thank u for reminding us of the little things that go unnoticed. The little things that matter the most. Thank u for inspiring us with your warm words. Keep it coming. Love u

    ReplyDelete
  8. so proud of u Meg!
    love
    Roland

    ReplyDelete